Drown #13: the story we tell, part 5.3

August 2086. Stephanie Nova and Justin Kim are 26. Willow is 5. 




Justin bought a cannoli at the cafe, but he didn’t have the appetite to eat it. He took a seat on the patio, overlooking the town square. He watched the door to the community center and his eyesight was just good enough to make out the rough shape of people coming and going. He could tell only as much as whether they were men or women or children, but he was certain that none of them had looked like Jeremiah so far.

He stopped just short of bringing binoculars because that would have been paranoid.


Then, after about an hour, his phone rang.

"I’m so sorry to trouble you," Mrs. Blair said. "He called to confirm, I was certain he’d come. But he didn’t. It’s been an hour. You can come collect Willow now if you like. Sorry to have wasted your time."

"Don't worry about it, I’ll be right there," Justin said.



"I’m sorry, girlie. Are you very disappointed?"

Willow sighed. "Uh huh. I thought I was gonna spend the whole day with my daddy. I thought it was gonna be the best day ever."

Outside it was a gorgeous summer day, warm but not sweltering, breezy, with a cover of fluffy white clouds overhead. Justin had some sunscreen and water bottles in the car.


"Hey, I've got an idea," he said. "I know it’s not what you were looking forward to, but maybe do you wanna hang out with me instead?"

Willow grinned. "Yeah!"

"What should we do first?"



Right outside the community center was a huge fountain. They took a picture together in front of it.

"First, we should send this picture to your mom," he said.

Justin texted the picture to Stephanie and called to check in.

"It's so bizarre," Justin told her. "He just didn't even show up. He didn't call to cancel or anything. In fact, he actually called to confirm, but then he was a no show."


"After all that trouble, he couldn't even make his first visitation? What is wrong with him?"

"I don't know. But I thought I'd take Willow out for a little while, before we come home. She was pretty disappointed. But only if you guys are okay for a while longer. How is everything there?"

"Oh, kind of fine," Stephanie said. "Now we're fine, anyway. Benji was fussy all morning, but he’s sleeping now. Lily was upset because I promised her a movie, then the TV broke. But now, we're all fine."

"How did the TV break?"

"I have no idea. It's kind of sparking a little. It's not on fire, though."

"Steph, don’t try to fix it on your own."


"Don’t even worry, I wasn’t going to try," Stephanie said. "I’ll just wait for my handyman to come back home. You guys have fun. I love you."

"Love you, too," Justin said.


"Last one to the park is a rotten egg!"














"Well, girlie, I think we did it all," Justin said. "It's getting kind of late, we should probably head back home now."

"Today was the best day ever," Willow said.

"Yeah, it was pretty great. Let's go tell your momma and Lily all about it."











notes: did you look at all the pictures closely?

outtakes: Stephanie's cozy day at home

13 comments:

  1. Justin and Willow's fun day out was so cute, until I reached the end! Ah, Jeremiah is freaking me out! Why can't he just go through the grieving process and have everything be legal and normal? Despite the creepy stalker stuff, it was fun trying to find him in the pictures. It reminded me of some of the books I loved as a little kid.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Like "Where's Waldo?" if Waldo was a jealous vengeful psychopath? 😂

      This one was fun to put together! Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. OK. So now he's going to follow them and perhaps (a) harm Steph, or (b) kidnap Willow or (c) some combination of the above.

    He is seriously seriously scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's definitely up to something rotten. I like hearing your guesses! You guys should start a betting pool, lol!

      Delete
  3. Aw, I'm glad Justin tried to make Willow feel better and have a great day. It was fun to look back and see Jeremiah, but I'm worried about what he's up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll find out what he's up to very soon! 0_0

      Delete
  4. Hopefully you've watched Bob's Burgers to get this reference but just imagine me making the Tina Belcher noise constantly until the next update! At least no matter what Jeremiah is planning to do, the courts HAVE to take Stephanie's side in all the remaining legal shenanigans. Missed his visitation then stalked and/or harassed and/or did something else unsavory. Even just the missing visitation after calling to confirm is a huge red flag.

    I have a awful feeling Willow is gonna need to use her watch, though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I don't actually watch that show, but I found a clip on YouTube. LOL! But I can't promise that the next update will soothe you. You might be making that noise still for a little while.

      If there is a bright side to look on, then yay, lots of ammunition to use in court! :D

      Delete
  5. Thank you for reading and commenting, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I laughed out loud at your Tumblr post about Stephanie's day at home because that is EXACTLY what life with two kids is like.

    Also I seriously woke up in a cold sweat last night because I suddenly realized that Jeremiah might have confirmed and then flaked precisely so he could stalk them and follow him home. I might be a bit emotionally invested. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you for reminding me about that post! I forgot to link it as an outtake. :D

      That is a good theory about Jeremiah! He is a sneaky guy. (Sorry it woke you up in the night though. I guess Jeremiah is the stuff of nightmares, lol!)

      Delete
  7. This just shows me that Jeremiah doesn't actually give a shit about Willow. This is all about control for him. If he cared, he would have shown up to the visitation and enjoyed his time with his daughter and then continued to get his life back on track, to possibly show the courts he was worthy of spending more time with her. Instead, he stalks Justin and Willow all afternoon like a big creeper. I don't know what he's planning and I'm a little afraid to find out. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth! But he is more interested in seeking vengeance and not compromising on what he wants. 0_0

      Delete