on randomizing genetics


Hi Anon, sure thing!

Lots of simmers I know use internet dice rolling to randomize stats, but still, after all these years, I prefer a program someone made for TS2. Hook's RandomStuff Roller. I hope those files are still available for download, now and always. There's a very little bit of a learning curve to using it, but after an hour or two I found myself writing up ROS scenarios and randomizing EVERYTHING. It's so much fun, lol!

So when a sim is born in my town, I give them two rolls. The first is my aging file and the second is inherited genetics.


The aging file is a pretty straightforward roll of weighted outcomes.


Some notes:

- name: left blank for this example, but for my real rolls, I actually put the child's name into the file so that it'll output with the results. Then I can screenshot the result to keep in my files. Some of this I'll note on the child's profile, but not all of my children have profiles done.
- lifespan base relates to my system of lifetime health strikes, which I wrote about previously.
- toddler trait is meant to be given at age 2, if we had toddlers. My 2-year-olds are kind of in limbo at the moment though, so they'll be given this trait when they're aged up to child. Usually around age 3 or 4. If the trait is not child-appropriate, it will be noted on their profile to give later and they'll roll another one.
- child and teen traits: whether they'll get a positive or negative trait on those birthdays. The "zodiac" and "inherited" refer to how I'll decide which positive or negative trait they get. (I have another more through post about traits that I've been meaning to share.)
- braces: the age and extent to which a child will need braces. If they don't get the braces they need, I can give them crooked teeth overlays as adults, lol! (New ways to torture my sims!)
- acne: I use Sandy's acne details
- glasses and balding age: inflicted upon the sim at the noted age.


My genetics roll is much less straightforward and will probably make sense to no one, lol! But here it is anyway.


So how it works is that for each feature, a different genetic weight is entered for mother, father, and both sets of grandparents. The game will also give the child a certain allocation of genetics when they are born, apart from height, and many times I'll just go with what the child is born with. But since the game doesn't allow for dominant vs. recessive features (red hair vs. black hair is weighted the same in TS4), I'll sometimes let this roll trump what the child was born with if it makes absolutely no sense. If I'm keeping the genetics the game chose for the child, then I'll just use the height part of this roll and discard the rest.

My height roll is based on this theory of estimated child height based on the parents, but using 4 inches in the formula instead of 5 (to keep the range of sim heights a little tighter) and including the grandparents in the mix.

For example, this file was set up for Eris when I rolled the example. The roller chose "grandfather paternal" for her to inherit her height from, which would be Orion, who is 5'8". Minus 4" because she's a girl, which would make her 5'4" as an adult. (Likewise, if a boy inherited from a female relative, the result would be +4")

Here are my aging roll and genetics roll text files, if anyone would like to use or just view them:

TS4BirthRoll (text)
BirthGeneticsRoll (text)

You don't need the RandomStuff program to just view them. They're just regular text files.

Hope this is of use! Happy simming! :D

5 comments:

  1. I love your gameplay posts because you go so in depth with everything and it impresses me every time.

    I can't believe I'd never heard of that randomizer before- up until now I've been doing it all manually using a random number generator, and now I feel silly. I anticipate I'll be headed down a deep, dark hole now that it's so much easier to randomize stuff, lol!

    And it looks like the two text files you linked go to the same thing, just a heads up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, links are all fixed now! Thanks for letting me know!

      No worries! I'm quite sure most of the internet doesn't know about that program except for a very niche group of us who found it while playing TS2. It's a gem! Have fun randomizing things! :D

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! So you control the genetics of your inborn sims? I guess you just change them after they're born if they don't turn out right or...? That's the kind of thing that would be really irritating in TS2 but pretty easy with mods in TS3, so possibly it's the same for TS4!

    I'm going to have a closer look at these roll files you've included. Partly because I kind of like the idea of braces (not something I'd considered before) but mostly because I'm just a big old nerd. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I do any changes to what the game gives them, it would have to be after they age to child. But I can represent those genetics on their baby skin because I make each baby their own custom skin with the right hair, eyes, and skin color. But once they're able to be edited in CAS (child is the earliest at the moment, until we get toddlers), it's super easy to change things. We have an in game cheat (cas.fulleditmode) that opens up everything. I do remember what a hassle it was to change anything genetically in TS2!

      Hope you enjoy the files! I probably never would have thought of doing braces and teeth overlays if my RL child hadn't just had them. I feel like after all of this, I should totally make one of my sims be a pediatric orthodontist, lol!

      Delete
    2. That sim would be raking it in! ;) My sister had braces as a teenager and I remember how expensive they were!

      Delete