obituary: Tad and Tosha Harris


Tad Harris: December 29, 2009 - February, 2084, age 74
Tosha Harris: January 26, 2010 - March, 2084, age 74



Tad Harris was the only child of neighborhood founders Troy and Rebecca Harris. He met his sweetheart, Tosha, at Lakeside Heights High School.

They attended college together at Sim State University. They were both playful and family-focused, and they wanted a lot of the same things in life. 

They got engaged in their final year of university... 

But, surprise! Their degrees wouldn't be the only thing they brought home with them!

Their first child, Alana, was born before they were quite ready, but they were very happy to welcome her.

Their sons, Toby and Joel, joined the family eight and ten years later, when they were more settled into their lives and careers. Tad was captain of the police force, and Tosha was a school teacher.

They led a very simple, but extremely happy life, with no major upsets or complications. They knew how lucky they were. Having a long and happy marriage was Tosha's primary life goal.

Tad's parents, Troy and Rebecca, also lived long into their elderhood. They got to see all of their grandchildren graduate, and two of their great grandchildren were born. Rebecca died first in 2064, then Troy followed a few years later in 2067.

Tad Harris was an accomplished police officer with a long career, eventually becoming captain hero in 2069, which was his lifelong dream. Tad enjoyed his work and worked long into his senior years after he was eligible for retirement.

On their free weekends, Tad and Tosha enjoyed vacations in the mountains. They felt that keeping busy kept them young and happy in spirit.

Tad finally retired in 2073, but only to open his store: Finer Things, which specialized in antiques, collectibles, and rare goods.

He enjoyed spending time with his children, their spouses, and six grandchildren. 

Tosha didn't have any major projects after her own retirement, she just wanted to enjoy her time with her large and happy family. One of her proudest moments was seeing her eldest grandchild begin her first real job.

In the spring of 2083, Tad and Tosha celebrated fifty-two years of marriage.

They passed away just a year and a half shy of meeting their first great grandchild, Cassie.




notes: I lamented once that Tad would have been the first and only sim I ever played from cradle to grave (death of old age, I mean, not young deaths). But I quit TS2 literally about one story-month before he was scheduled to die. Maybe I didn’t want to go through with it, lol! Tosha was a teenage townie when I started playing her, so even though she wasn't born in game, she had been with me for most of her life, too. 

Now that I blog so slowly about my families, the gameplay is significantly slower, too, so I doubt that I'll ever cover ~80 years of gameplay in one game version again. (In fact, for ~60 years of Tad's life, I was not blogging at all.) It was an interesting thing to *almost* achieve.

Huh, I guess I should also figure out how much money they had in TS2 (Tad had his store to sell, at least) and divvy up an inheritance on their behalf for their family members who made it over to TS4. Maybe Tosha left more money to Lucy than her other grandchildren, lol! We'll just say that their lawyers were processing the paperwork for a couple of years. ;)

4 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you nearly played Tad for his whole TS2 life, nearly cradle to grave. I'm really enjoying going through my Pleasantview quickly so aging actually seems to happen, as compared with Simdale Valley, which seems to take about a real year per every 1-2 game years. That Captain Hero thing was so much fun the first time I saw it happen in Sims 2! Your picture of Tad is really cool. And having an antiques and collectibles store in retirement is neat too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's about my rate, too. Figuring on average I manage to write 6 updates per RL-month, sometimes more, sometimes less, one sim year = one RL year for me. I wish it wasn't so, lol! I would have to cut it down to a strict 2-3 updates per sim-month to move faster than that. Even then, it would be about 2 sim-years per RL year, which is still slow, lol!

      Back when I first started blogging LH in TS2, I was doing a strict 1 update per sim-month, and time moved along. But I also felt like I missed a lot. It's a hard balance.

      So the answer is, of course, just write much much shorter updates, lol!

      ^ Like, really though, lol! I keep telling myself I have a 1000-word cutoff, but many grow close to 3000 words if I get carried away.

      I LOVED Tad's antiques store! It was back when we didn't have unlocks and cheats to get those objects for everyone, or else I just didn't know how. His store was so valuable for my other sims! Now in TS4, I just use the cheat to open up the catalog and buy whatever, lol!

      Delete
  2. Captain Hero! I've been playing with career replacements for so long that I'd almost forgot about that one!

    This was fun to look back on Tad and Tosha! I don't remember seeing them a lot on the old LH blog, though I do think I remember that pic of Lucy serving Tosha.

    And all this talk about gameplay speed makes me want to get moving with my blog. If I can get to four updates a month, like I managed for a long time, I'll be happy. Six is amazing, especially with the work you put into the writing with your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, they were already well retired by the time I started blogging, so they wouldn't have had too much drama to write about.

      I was also thinking about time skips as a method to speed things up, but I always seem to regret doing that in the long run. Shorter updates will certainly help. I mean, I could probably do a lot more per month if they were much shorter. They'd be less taxing on my other writing projects, too!

      Delete