business profile: Iceberry Cafe // Cloud 9 // Potomac Herbal

venue: residential // home cafe, home bar, AirBnb
location: Potomac Heights
owner: Aura Jackson (managed by Beau Jackson and April Hutchins)

Since so much of my last update took place on this lot, I thought I'd throw together a little lot tour. This lot has grown quite a bit since I showed it off before in a profile for April's cafe

As far as the books go, neither the Jackson boys nor April own any of this. They manage it all for their mom. In TS2, Aura owned a fashion boutique, Jolie Jolie, which did exceptionally well until one day when she "sold it" (game glitch) to run for office, a position she still holds today, Treasury Secretary. Then Adrian did well for himself, too, running a very popular arcade. Between the two businesses, their home and vacation home, the Jackson family had amassed somewhere around $400,000 simoleons in net worth, a nice tidy fortune among my sims, probably second only to the Riley family in riches. But the boys won't inherit that for a long while still—although Adrian passed away, I expect Aura to stick around for a long time. 

In TS4, the Jackson family owns two properties now, and this is one which Beau and April manage. (The other is the Adventure Fitness Park in Sierra Nova, which Tyler is working on.)





Because of the way TS4 is—as far as lots go, you get what you get—I ended up packing a LOT of stuff into this lot. I don't prefer to pack this much all into one lot, but there's just so little customization in this game and so much I wanted to do. But if I had it my way, I'd probably split this space into several lots, to function better. The apothecary should be retail, the cafe should be a cafe, and the bar/lounge should be a bar or lounge or maybe even a restaurant. Since I can't do that, it's all residential and functions with mods

The home business mods just about work for my purposes. There are a few oddities—like that sims have to "knock on the door" to be let in when they arrive as visitors to the cafe or lounge, because it's technically all a residential home to the game. And typical bar/lounge events can't be planned here. If we could make our own apartments, I'd probably give them a little "PO Box" apartment somewhere and have this lot be a real lounge in game. But we don't have real apartments in TS4. :(




April's cafe I'm sure everyone has seen plenty. My sims come here often for dates and outings, so it's very popular.

The only thing I've changed since its first profile is that, when moving from community lot to residential, I needed to add an apartment above the cafe where Beau, April, and Amber live now. They spend so much time here that it felt like a waste for them to own another house somewhere else. 



It's just a cute and colorful little space. Amber hangs out here most of the day while Beau and April work in shifts, or else Devon might come up to babysit if they're both working. 


The building to the right of April's cafe is a self-explanatory little laundromat. Sims can leave payment on the tables to use the machines. 

The upper floors in this second building are currently empty. 


Building three has a movie theater on the first floor. Sims basically never use the movie screens unless you make them. I should probably start a movie club or something. 


Second floor of the third building is Cloud 9, a bar...


and seasonal hookah lounge with live music in the evenings. On the off-season, the music will come inside. My game hasn't actually been through winter yet, but the instruments need to come inside every time it rains, or they'll break. I assume winter will be the same. I like that detail in the game, but it's kind of a chore to move everything around every time it rains. I wonder if a covered patio might be useful here?


Cloud 9 has a small kitchen, so if I ever got the chance to break up this lot, I could make this building into a functional restaurant. April does have Valerie cook here, occasionally—neither April nor Beau can cook worth a damn, lol! It's also good to have some meals on hand for hotel guests. Bar patrons can order bar and cafe food, too. And April's ice cream, popcorn, and treats are available from the fridges. (Sims can leave payment on the counters. It's not a retail lot, so I can't set things for sale for real, which is kind of a bummer.)  



Third floor of the Cloud 9 building has a couple little studio apartment rooms for rent, for short or long term. They don't have any long-term tenants at the moment. This room has always gotten more short-term action, being above the bar and all.




Now, the fourth building in the back and Beau's passion project is his apothecary. Vicky works with him here. She isn't trained in chemical sciences, but she has some experience with gardening and herbal medicines that she learned from her time on the island. This is a rather new little startup, but they have a one distribution deal with a local market so far (Janie Trudgen's place in Fort Palmetto). 



They intend to focus on distribution sales for the most part, so it's not a huge deal that there are no retail functions on this lot. But they can sell a little on site through the yard sale set. The potions and some of the rare berries, mushrooms, and herbs can fetch a good price.

And hey, look, Vicky's parents would be super proud to know that she dropped out of med school to become an actual drug dealer! 😂

Vicky is an hourly employee at the moment, but I suppose our new-ish gardening career would also suit her profession well.


Finally, as if there wasn't enough here already, this lot also houses my underground train and station set, which is really just for storytelling purposes. Thankfully the sims mostly leave it alone unless I send them down there.

It's a big big lot, but it actually plays pretty smoothly for having so many busy locations crammed onto it. The only trouble I run into is if I try to run the cafe and lounge at the same time, the cafe steals all the customers and the lounge looks empty. I guess my sims really love their coffee!


5 comments:

  1. One of my big wishes for Sims 2 (which will obviously never come true) is to have sims own part of a lot, so I could run several businesses on the one lot. I've got a little grilled cheese restaurant on a multi-shop lot and it's kind of lame, because it just sells all the default foods...which does not include grilled cheese! So I can relate to your struggles with this lot!

    How many visitors do you get, running your businesses as residential? I don't get a *ton* of visitors at my regular residential lots but maybe it depends on where the lot is located and whatever the mods are doing? And when you say sims leave payment on the counters, do they do that autonomously?

    The whole lot looks great but I think my favourite part is Cloud 9! I love the brick and the kind of bohemian feel, with the art work, the curtains and the ottomans (and the hookah, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted that, too! And we need that now more than ever with TS4, since the lots come so BIG and you can't split them up or change them at all.

      It seems like the LittleMsSam mod makes the lot behave just as it would as a cafe or bar for the time that it's active. By default, all community lots are set to 20 sims. I use MCCC to bump mine up to 30, but you can actually tweak it differently for each kind of lot. Less for libraries, for example.

      From a visiting household POV, no, I have to make them leave a payment--just drag something out of their inventory and leave it on the lot when I go, so the owner can sell it the next time I load them. Otherwise the owner gets no income from that visit. When you're playing as the owner, the customers all pay autonomously as they order.

      I always enjoy sending my sims to Cloud 9. It's a fun atmosphere for dates and outings. :)

      Delete
    2. Damn, there's so much about MCCC I don't know! I really need to study it, lol!

      Delete
  2. Very cool! There is so much going on here, I love it!

    Your post also comes at a perfect time too, because one of my sims will soon be starting up their own flower shop so seeing what is capable on one lot makes me confident that I'll be able to pull it off. lol
    One of my questions was should my sim live on the same lot as their business? They currently live on a small lot, the house pretty much covers the whole space so I was leaning towards moving them anyway. But also I'm not keen on having to look after two lots!

    Cloud 9 looks like a groovy place for your sims to take a date or even chill out at the bar. I also didn't know that instruments left outside in the weather causes them to break! You could maybe just put a roof over half of the patio for the instruments?

    I'm really interested in seeing your underground train & station too, that sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, sorry for the late replies! I kind of fell into a black hole called the first trimester of pregnancy, lol!

      I'm always torn about whether my business owners should have another residential lot somewhere. As a flower shop, you'd probably want to use the retail functions of a real retail business lot. Because your only other option would be the yard sale object, or else transferring the flowers to another business owner to sell.

      But then, whenever my business owners have a separate business lot, they practically never spend any time at home. It feels like such a waste of a lot. Which is why I SO WISH we could have real apartment tools, so I could make them a little apartment somewhere and not waste a whole lot. I'm eternally frustrated that they didn't give us those tools.

      So, long answer short (lol!), for a flower shop, I'd give them a real retail business, maybe even build a fake home for them to live in above the shop, but probably put their "game required home" on some lot I don't really care about wasting.

      Delete