stink bug

August 2086. Willow Nova is 5 years old, Benji Nova is 5 days old.


Stephanie laid Willow's baby brother across her lap with his head propped over her wrist.

"Do you think you can do it?" Stephanie asked. "Two hands, okay? I'll be back in one minute."

"I can do it, Mom."


Benji stared up at Willow with round, curious eyes. He had less hair than Grandpa Nova, Willow thought. He also had no teeth like when Grandpa Nova took out his dentures. He looked like an old man and a baby at the same time.

He made gurgle sounds with his mouth. Then some other gurgle sounds came out of him from somewhere.

"Oh," Willow said. "Eeew."

His lips and tongue began to quiver. Then he started to wail.




Willow didn't want to touch him, but she didn't want to drop him either. So she quickly put one hand back under his head like her mom showed her. Then she yelled, "Mom! I need help! Benji pooped on me!"


"Come here, my little stink bug," Stephanie said. "Do you want to help change his diaper?"

"No, thanks," Willow said. "Maybe ask Lily."




5 comments:

  1. Oh, completely adorable. I love Willow's expressions. And Benji and Willow looking at each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solid decision there, Willow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading, you guys! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! I'm with Willow on that diaper! Pass!

    ReplyDelete