helping out

August 2086. Cynthia Kim is 50, Robert is 52, Justin is 26. 


Robert didn't get to see the baby in the hospital, so he and Cynthia took a drive up north to meet his new grandson.




While the guys were getting to know each other, Cynthia thought she would help out a little.


She thought she would prepare something to put in the freezer for dinner. She knew how hard it was to have a newborn in the house. Nobody who had a newborn in the house would ever be disappointed in a hearty homemade meal.

The thing was, though, this house that Stephanie and Justin bought was old and rustic. It actually had one of those late-model coil top electric stoves, the kind people had all the way back when Cynthia was a girl.


But Cynthia had forgotten how to work those kind of stoves. She had forgotten all about how easily they caught fire.


Robert did his best to put on the flames, but the fire burned too hot and too fast.


It couldn't be saved. And it took out the adjoining countertop with it.

Robert helped Stephanie gather up the children to take outside for fresh air.

Justin and his mother stood in the charred kitchen, not knowing what to say, stunned at how such a pleasant visit could turn so unfortunate so fast. And with a new baby in the house.


Justin frowned at his mother. "Mom, why did you burn down my kitchen?"

"I'll just write a check," Cynthia said. "I'm just gonna leave it blank and you can fill in what you need."

And that was how Justin and Stephanie got a new kitchen.




gameplay notes: um... oops? 

I was playing Cynthia and Robert, visiting at Justin and Stephanie's place, and I just thought it would be nice if she could make them something to put in their fridge. I also kind of wanted to test that annoying bug/feature where sims get yelled at if they cook at somebody else's house. Weirdly enough, nobody yelled at her for cooking there. Both Justin and Stephanie walked by her several times and saw her cooking. They're like, "No biggie!" They couldn't be more wrong. It was such a biggie, lol! 

I had been planning to remodel their kitchen, dining, and living areas eventually, but I had not planned to have to do it so soon. Because, you know, there's a newborn in the house, lots of drama going on, and who has time for a renovation with all of that going on? Good thing they're sims with the magic of build mode.

So they got a new stove, and a new microwave and dishwasher which they'd been begging for. I put green on the walls, which I'm not sure I entirely like, but I didn't like any other color better. And it looked nice with the dark wood countertops and floors. The brick wall in the kitchen matches the exterior brick out front, and with the green/dark wood/brick, I wanted to preserve the rustic cottage feeling of the house while giving it a little modern makeover. 

It's still a small kitchen, of course, but I couldn't make it any bigger without destroying the current layout entirely. TS4 sims do quite well with small spaces. 


Don't mind Ms. Grumpypants in her snazzy new kitchen. She's still annoyed about the fire because that fire moodlet lasts FOREVER.

10 comments:

  1. Ms Grumpypants, ha, well, even with the new kitchen I think she's entitled to be a little moody being postpartum and having a fire. The kitchen is beautiful!!! And the fact that sims can route in small places *is* actually one of my favorite aspects of playing Sims 4. You can build tiny because they are fine with it although you might get them walking through each other every once in a while. When I went back to playing Sims 2 I quickly realized I had to give them more space for routing, like I was used to doing before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, that was probably my biggest "nope" about trying to play TS2 again. I actually tried to play in Stephanie's family's TS2 house, which I know I played in for YEARS. It's rather small for a TS2 house, 4x4 tile bedrooms, ~ 6x6 in the living room and kitchen, 2-tile wide hallways, and the sims were always getting clogged up in there. I don't know how I managed in that exact house for so many generations!

      Delete
  2. I can't remember if you went with the EA back story for Cynthia and Robert, that they were sitcom stars at one point? If so, they've definitely got the cash to buy their son and his family a new kitchen, so I don't think this will hurt them too much. I was actually worried about Stephanie and Justin having to pay for it!

    And it looks great too. I always love a bit of exposed brick!

    LOL at poor Steph at the end there! I've been playing TS3 a bit recently and I don't even know if they have a fire moodlet. I might just be totally unobservant though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I vaguely remember that, about the sitcom, lol! I think that was one of the first things I erased from their history. I really should have just changed their names, because I can't remember if I kept anything else about them at all.

      I don't know if I ever mentioned what they actually did in my story of them, even in TS2? Well, Cynthia was always a stay at home mom, and Robert worked in computer tech. He reached about mid-level in that career before he "retired". He's not quite retirement age, but he and Cynthia are thinking about moving closer and doing something different now. Not sure exactly what just yet. Something freelance and part-time, like hobby income. I don't have any possible way to implement it in the game, but I could see Robert crafting and selling very intricate model train sets, lol!

      But anyway, they never had a ton of money, but they weren't broke either. In TS2, they raised Justin in a little 10x20 lot townhome, which was plenty big enough for the three of them. Now they only have a good chunk of extra cash laying around because they're downsizing and trying to sell the old house, which has risen nicely in property value since I moved it to Potomac Heights. ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh geez. I bet Cynthia feels bad! I haven't had anyone yell at my sim for cooking as long as they are good friends. It's nice they were able to update their kitchen, and that was a very old stove! The new updates look really nice, and no one was harmed, so all in all, it worked out, even if it was scary and stressful for the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say that I've ever started a kitchen fire in somebody else's kitchen, but I think it would be absolutely mortifying, lol!

      I hope that means they fixed that bug! That used to bother me so much. I know for a fact that I tried to have Justin cook something at his mom's house once, and she yelled at him. Like a child can't cook something for the family in his mother's house! Or vice versa. Except I bet they won't want to let Cynthia cook for them ever again, lol!

      I wonder if that means they can sleep over without being part of the household, too? I will have to test that out.

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award, which you may have already received. Don't feel obligated to respond!! The link is here http://www.simdalevalleypost.com/thank-you-post/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha and oh no! I haven't had a fire moodlet yet in TS4, it might not even happen though since I tend to max out my sims cooking skill because I dislike cooking in real life so much, lol!

    Stephanie's face when the stove is on fire is classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch out with your teenage sims then! It's like a rite of passage for my teens, they always burn the first thing they attempt to cook, lol! :D

      Delete