hush

March 29, 2087. Easter Sunday. Jacob Collins is 14, Shannon Brett is 16. 
















Flirting during church was apparently frowned upon, as per Jacob's grandmother's scolding, Shhh! But flirting after church was A-okay, practically natural this time of year.

It’s not only Easter, but it’s also Shannon’s 16th birthday. Jake is still fourteen for a few more months. During the part of the year when they are only one year apart, their parents—who were best friends since college—would joke and tease that they would get married some day. But for every birthday since she turned two and Jake was still a newborn, there has been this peculiar time of the year when Shannon was two years older than Jake.

Some ages, it never mattered very much. When she turned nine and he was still seven. When she turned twelve and he was still ten. But some years she realizes how much those fifteen months difference matter. When she turned four and he was still two. And now, maybe. She realizes how she’ll go off into the world someday, ahead of him, without him, and how they’ll have to talk about that eventually.

Jake is oblivious, of course.

And that's just as well, because in another four months, they'll only be one year apart again. Shannon might be growing up ahead of him, but she's not quite all grown up yet. 








footnotes from the future: Shannon is the one Jake was talking about to Lauren in this post

6 comments:

  1. Omg, this is so cute! I've missed Jacob so much. I always found his character interesting. And Cassie is adorable!

    Can't wait for the next update!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have often thought about those weird "a bit more than a year apart" sorts of age gaps. With my romantic couples but also with friendships, both with my sims and in real life. I wanted to reach into the screen to tell Jake how quickly those kind of gaps stop mattering once you're about 20 or 21. I have a friend who is 17 months older than me, which felt like a lot when we were teens - 17 is very, very different to 19! Now that we're both mid-to-late 30s, it's really and truly nothing.

    Not that it means Jake and Shannon will ever be a thing. But I want to follow them and see what happens regardless.

    And I am always happy to see more Dallas and Lucy, even if they're not actually saying anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassie is so cute!!! Dallas and Lucy are such cuties too! Agree with Carla about the age gaps, they don't matter nearly as much once everyone is adult. Jake and Shannon are pretty cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had an Easter yet in my game but it looks like fun! That's amazing how you got all those sims to sit there, I bet it wasn't for long though. ;) I find TS4 sims seem to get distracted a lot more and refuse to sit for a normal amount of time compared to TS3 sims. It's a struggle to get my families to even sit at the dinner table together!

    Jacob and Shannon are very sweet, hopefully the age difference doesn't cause them to drift apart as they get older. Nice update! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to ask if you experience lag in your game. Like the one where Sims are just standing there without doing nothing and the game seems to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Amy, I'm eager to write about Jacob again, but I'm also a little hands-off with that group, because I don't want to mess up anything between now and the 2091 stories. But there might be a few time skips in between so I can get ahead a little.

    @Carla, growing up is awkward in sims and real life. I enjoy the way the "aging up" in sims reflects the awkward feeling of moving between school levels for RL kids. Like when two friends are split between elementary and middle school. Or likewise, high school and university. It's nerdy to say, but I think it's kind of neat that our sims can experience that awkwardness in a tangible way, lol!

    Dallas and Lucy have had their fair share of drama, so I'm totally fine with letting them be cute and happy now.

    @Maisie, cuteness abounds! :)

    @Jennifer, it was a fun holiday, but the bunny creeps me out, lol!

    For real, the up and down with TS4 sims is maddening. Thankfully I didn't even try to sit all of these sims in game. The church scene was 100% posed! ;)

    @Anon, sometimes. Usually only when I'm trying to pack like 30-something sims all into one giant lot and control them all. I find that it helps to pause the game for a couple seconds to let the processing catch up, and then carry on. Also, lag happens more on x3 speed than x1.

    Thanks for reading, everyone!

    ReplyDelete