gameplay notes on injury damage

notes for inflicting gameplay upon story characters: 

This is sort of like the reverse of writing a story based on gameplay—here, I want to inflict gameplay upon my sims for something that happened in the story. Because otherwise, you know they'd walk around all smiley and happy and sim-like, even though something terrible just happened. TS4 sims don't have memories like TS2 sims do, so once their bad moodlets wear off, they completely forget that anything bad ever happened to them. No matter what it was.

And the moodlets are ridiculously short, most of the time. This brand new mod looks promising to help them last a little bit longer.

In game, the fight moodlet only lasts four hours, so that was kind of useless to me. I did let Justin and Jeremiah actually brawl in game, and yes, Justin loses every time against Jeremiah, lol! It must have to do with either their traits (Jeremiah's are much meaner) or their muscle strength (Jeremiah is stronger), because I think they're about matched on their fitness skill.

Anyway, this was more than just a little brawl, so I'll use several mods and cheats to inflict some lingering physical and psychological damages for these sims. (I am a cruel, cruel pixel-god, lol!)


For Willow, considering her age and having witnessed what she did, I picked +2 tense, added by debug cheats, which will be stuck until I remove it. At that level, it will be easy for her family to care for her and help her feel secure and happy, but you can also expect that sometimes the tension will rise up and she'll "remember". This will probably show up in outbursts or nightmares.

For Stephanie, who you will hear from in the next story piece, I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to tell you that I picked +2 sad for her. For different characters, different reactions would make sense, but for Stephanie and her internalizing, worrisome personality, sadness felt like it would be her default state.

These would be psychological damages, and because I've added them by debug cheats, they will last as long as I feel they should. I will remove them when I feel the sims have "gotten over it", whatever that might mean in the story. I have not decided yet how or when those would be removed for either of them.

For Justin, it was mentioned in the last chapter that he was in the ICU due to the severe beating Jeremiah dealt him, and that is largely what the next chapter is about. Due to physical injuries, he'll begin with a +5 uncomfortable, and I will drop that down to a +2 uncomfortable as he recovers, depending on the length of his recovery. The +5 uncomfortable is rather dangerous in my game (because of uncomfortable boosting, see here), which is why he will remain in the ICU to be carefully monitored. Justin rarely gets angry, but all sims get embarrassed by things from time to time. So I've also prescribed him some heavy medication that will drive his uncomfortable mood into dazed. It feels fitting for the events he's experienced—extreme pain overridden by heavy sedation. See, with mods, you can kind of bend these pixels into somewhat realistic situations. As long as he keeps up with that medication schedule, it will override most other angry or embarrassed moodlets he might spawn and keep him out of danger.

For the other family members, I have found a couple interesting buffs to add as I feel necessary. Both have text that relates nicely to what Jeremiah has done, lol! These are not permanent, so they will expire just as they would if they were spawned from regular gameplay.

sims.add_buff [x]

- tense: criminalmastermind (+2, 4 hrs) which reads: "Could that Sim really be a criminal mastermind? What's a Sim to do!?"

- sad: goodvsevil_sad (+1, 3 hrs) which reads: "Sad about evilness, Such a shame that they've chosen a life of darkness."

So all of this helps the sims feel more “in character” for what just happened in their story. Otherwise, you know sims, they’d just walk around all smiling and happy, even though something traumatic has just happened.

For Jeremiah, since he has shown little remorse or apology so far, I haven't added any emotional moodlets for him. But he has made himself a legit fugitive, so he’ll have some rules in place now, too.

- he is wanted on several counts: aggravated assault, attempted kidnapping, child endangerment (for incapacitating Willow's caregiver and then leaving her alone), fleeing the scene of a crime. In a few days time, he’ll also be wanted by the ISCA for failing to report to duty. He’s in big, big trouble.

- he cannot apply for any career except “criminal”, and he must still roll my criminal activities risk ROS, so if he gets caught, he'll be caught for his other crimes as well.

- he can make some money by working under the table, or by scavenging and selling.

- he cannot participate in anything that would require using his ID (unless he obtains a fake one, and that will only get him so far)… so, no loans or major purchases. No legal documents, which means never traveling out of the country (no passport). He can’t register for healthcare or receive services at a hospital, so if he ever gets himself injured, he's on his own.

From a gameplay standpoint, it sounds kind of fun to play. You could make a simming challenge out of it or something. The Fugitive Challenge? Does that exist? lol!

And I'm kind of excited to play through that. I haven't been in gameplay mode for over a year because of this epic story, but now Jeremiah is about 50% off-story, so he's not totally protected anymore. Gameplay can happen to him to a certain extent, and I'll consider whatever happens to him. There are a couple of plot points that I would like to see him meet still, but those aren't firm.

If you have any other fun gameplay restrictions that I might inflict upon Jeremiah, I would love to hear them!


a new ROS roll: 

I don’t do routine hood-wide ROS rolls anymore, apart from the random monthly health strike, but I do still like them in certain circumstances. So keeping in line with my other situational ROS rolls, like the birth rolls, or risk rolls for criminal activities, this would be another that is triggered only by certain events happening in game or in story.

This roll was inspired by Justin's story. I did some crafty internet medical research to find: when a person is assaulted severely, if it’s just hand-to-hand assault and no weapon, no stabbing or gun shot, what is it that actually does the damage? And I learned that it’s actually a brain injury, similar to the kind of injury a football player or boxer might have in sport, or also, shaken baby syndrome. From repeated blows to the head, the brain is knocked around inside the skull which causes swelling and bruising. This is lovely, I know, lol!

And it kind of irritated me that, in game, after a fight with another sim, they walk away with a 4 hour dazed moodlet and then it's all peachy again. No consequences, no lasting damages, no recovery period, nothing. Just like all those times Tyler walked away from his crashed rocket ship with only a 4 hr dazed moodlet. Really, lol!

Photo evidence of such nonsense:




Dude, you just crashed a rocket ship head first into the ground!!! And you just get to slither out of the wreckage with a 4 hr. moodlet?

Can they actually die from the rocket ship crashes? Mine never ever do, so for this and similar situations, I have to take things into my own hands. Tyler is lucky I wasn’t doing this roll back then, because he crashed a few times and surely one of the results would have been bad. I suppose this will put a lot of risk on my other astronaut sims. But that would be fitting in their career and the risky work they're doing. Keri will be story-protected until at least 2092, when she embarks on her quest to Cassiopeia, but after that, all bets are off!

I found most of these ideas on medical websites. Note: I am certainly no doctor and this is just for gameplay fun. Not all results would match all situations, but I suppose if it really didn't make sense (like if you rolled vision impairment from smoke inhalation, for example), you could just reroll.

There are no direct death results in this roll, because these are meant for sims who have not died but are facing the consequences and recovery of a severe injury. But a couple of them do deal multiple health strikes, which could result in death for a sim who is already unhealthy. You could consider that maybe they didn't die immediately from their injury, but died afterwards from complications.

The events in game or story which would trigger this roll:
— accidents, severe smoke inhalation (sim being on fire themselves, or more than 5 blocks of fire on the lot), rocket ship crash, severe assault, drug overdose, failed suicide attempt, saved from the reaper of all death types, scientist chemical explosion...

The roll and its consequences looks like this (this one isn't very long, so I'll just paste it here rather than uploading a .txt.)


*sim: Sim Name, date: ???
*event: ???

*injury:
Miraculously fine [5]
Brain injury, mild, vision impaired, wear glasses [2]
Brain injury, mild, change a trait to random [2]
Brain injury, moderate, change a trait to adhd
Brain injury, moderate, change a trait to insane
Brain injury, moderate, change a trait to dunce
Brain injury, moderate, change a trait to hot-headed
Brain injury, moderate, loss of libido, unflirty trait
Brain injury, moderate, amnesia, delete all relationships
Brain injury, moderate, amnesia, delete all traits (temporary, 4 weeks)
Brain injury, moderate, amnesia, delete all traits (temporary, 6 months)
Brain injury, moderate, amnesia, delete all traits (permanent)
Physical injury, mild, superficial, scarring [3]
Physical injury, mild, spacial difficulty, change a trait to clumsy [2]
Physical injury, mild, temporary, minus one fitness point [2]
Physical injury, mild, temporary, minus two fitness points [2]
Physical injury, moderate, permanent, change a trait to lazy
Physical injury, moderate, permanent, minus all fitness points & change trait to lazy
Physical injury, moderate, one health strike
Physical injury, moderate, two health strikes
Physical injury, severe, three health strikes
Physical injury, severe, four health strikes
Physical injury, extreme, five health strikes

*recovery:
two days
four days
one week [3]
two weeks [5]
three weeks [3]
four weeks [2]
six weeks
eight weeks
Some notes:
- a couple of these trait-related results would use custom traits.
- for the amnesia one, I haven't listed whether they would gain back their old traits or find new ones, or whether it would be a combination of both, I would leave that decision to the story.

So, that is a thing in my gameplay now, and it will be used for those accidental and story situations listed above.

I did use this roll on Justin, so he has an injury result and a recovery period for his injuries.

I will be honest though, I did reroll the first two results he got and I kept the third, lol! It was not the "fine" one, but it's something I can work with. Because Justin is still in story-mode for the time being and I do have plans for him, and because he is a precious jewel in my pixel world. I suppose you could say that he has the good favor of his pixel god (although you probably wouldn’t guess that from the hellish life I’ve given him so far!)

Between the added moodlets and the new ROS roll, I hope that these things will help to bring challenge and consequence to my gameplay, in a game where both challenge and consequence are overwhelmingly lacking!

10 comments:

  1. Laura, this is one of the greatest shortfalls of Sims 4 programming, in my opinion, and these are great ideas for countering the lack of consequences in the game. I really like the idea of using the emotional inertia, combined with the no happy emotion from environment. That Sims 4 Experience mod also sounds really interesting, although I rarely use the in-game memory system which is another way to round out sims' emotions. Giving a story-based emotion buff through the cheat system is a great idea when something has happened (like Jeremiah's crime against Willow and Justin) that the game doesn't interpret as a big deal, but it really is. I loved your narration about the "nonsense" of the rocket crash. When I played Delaney Tesla, at first I was scared she was going to die, after all she hadn't even had children yet when she first went into space, and she was the heir, but I soon learned it was not a real threat. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and strategies on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked into the Experience mod, but I wasn't quite sold on it as a whole package. Building experience in an emotion was interesting, but it had a whole bunch of other things I didn't want.

      You know, I just went into game to see if they'd changed anything about the memories, and it just made me mad, lol! It's completely useless in every way. You can't order or sort the screenshot manager, and with the amount of households I have and screenshots I have, that makes it literally impossible to find a particular shot for a particular sim to save as a memory. And then once you have saved one, how do they even recall it? I honestly have no freaking clue, lol! Not to mention that I don't want to have to recall the memories myself—I want my sims to recall their own memories! Or else what is the point? It's way easier for me to just enter a cheat if I want them in a particular mood. The whole thing just makes me mad, so I will just pretend that TS4 sims have no memories at all, because as far as I'm concerned, they don't because I can't use them.

      That's part of the reason why documenting their lives in stories and pictures, here on this blog and on Tumblr, is so important. Because if I didn't, I would never remember what happened to them in their lives.

      So you have never had a sim die from the rocket crash, either? I have heard that it is theoretically possible, but I've never seen it. I've had probably ~50 crashes in my game among all of my astronauts, but never a death.

      Delete
  2. Your comments about the worthlessness of the in-game memory system are so true and I was so disappointed when I saw how it worked. I agree, if they can't remember their own memories, what's the point! Also, it is incredibly laborious to find a screenshot. Technically, you could just put ANY screenshot and then assign an emotion and a "memory," but again, it seems so irrelevant.

    Nope, I've never had a sim die from crashing in the rocket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting - you know I always love your nerdy stuff!

    Sadness definitely fits for Stephanie. I don't know what moodlets you have to choose from but I think that's what I would have picked.

    So seeing Jeremiah has deserted the military, would that mean he is officially jobless at the moment? When you desert, are you considered discharged, on top of being wanted? But the fugitive challenge sounds so fun - I'm half tempted to do it, lol!

    The lack of actual damage from fights is pretty silly. I'm assuming the "brawl" looks a lot like the dust ball fights from TS2. Violent enough that it needs to be censored from our eyes but apparently, the sims aren't injured in the slightest?

    EA have never really matched what they did in TS2 with memories, have they? They added them to TS3 but they were somehow just irritating and never really affected anything in game. :\

    I love those injury rolls and I'm going to have to take some time to read them properly and soak it all in. Seriously so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jeremiah is unemployed! For a long while, I think. If I put him in the criminal career, I'll first have to set up someone to hire him, because I don't allow jobs out of thin air in my game. I actually don't have anyone running a criminal enterprise at the moment. Although, that sounds fun to do!

      But Jeremiah is not short on cash. He just got that huge payout from Stephanie for selling the cabin, and he had a bit in savings already, too. He has probably close to $15,000 cash on hand, and he's just planning to lay low and live on that for a while.

      Ha ha, the dust ball. Yup. You know, the animations inside that dust ball are so non-violent that I didn't even choose to use them for my fighting scene. I used the boxing bag animations instead, lol! The brawling animations look pretty silly without the dust cloud. A lot of slapping and random flying up and around. Very cartoonish, lol!

      TS2 memories were genius. I guess they also made the hoods and saves very easy to break, but I wish they could find a suitable compromise. TS3 memories were about as useless as TS4 memories, except you could actually access them, unlike TS4. :\

      Glad you enjoyed the post! :)

      Delete
  4. It's very interesting to read your gameplay notes! I'm using (or will use, rather, once I finish re-doing everything and establishing my game as I want it) a lot of it (especially your birth control/fertility) and it really helps flesh out my gameplay.

    I've also started using your attraction rules and I'm going to stop that sentence right there because each time I continue it I weer off talking about it (I REALLY like it see! :P) and it got really long. Especially since this is a post about injuries. Ahem.

    Either way, reading this was really interesting! I'm still in the process of moving people in so they haven't had many chances yet to get into fights or do anything that'd cause them injuries, however now I have something for when that very likely happens!

    I have emotional inertia, or I do as soon as I restart my game, and I'm curious to see how it goes. I might mod it a little depending but we'll see. I'm also going to look into getting some new traits, both for this, but also because I kind of want to expand my choices a bit so I'll have to go hunt some down I think.

    I'm half-tempted to try the fugitive challenge, except I really do need to get this world in order and doing a challenge miiiight not be the way to go if I want to get everyone sorted out with their traits and their new homes!

    I do miss Sims 2 style memories a lot, I still play Sims 2, I just wish I could have that aspect in all games (I'd like the look of the Sims 3 worlds, with slightly bigger neighbourhoods than Sims 4 offers, but not so big no one will be in the same place (utterly empty nightclubs are creepy in a way I did not expect!) at once with the memory function of Sims 2 with the possibility of editing my world, oh and a main switch to control the existence of supernaturals in my world, thanks!)

    Anyway, I really like to look of this and I'll hopefully get to see it in action as I actually get back to playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, cool, I'm glad you like the attraction rules. I still use that one for my TS4 game, too, since the personalities are similar and we got aspirations back!

      I am very interested in the new version of Zerbu's Mod Constructor that makes traits and aspirations. I've been dying to try it out, but I wanted to plow through these last few chapters of this story first. TS4 is slow to release many new traits, but modders have made some great custom ones. I've been waiting FOREVER for somebody to recreate the TS2 pleasure aspiration, so screw it, I'm just going to do that one myself, lol! I also want to do a fortune aspiration that focuses on career building rather than wealth or possessions. And I have a couple of ideas for traits that could be fun, too.

      I look forward to seeing what you do with this. Let me know if you come up with anything interesting to add! :)

      Delete
  5. I added the emotional inertia mod (with changes to comfort) and played it for the first time last night. It is so much better although it made me want to cheat for my poor simmies. Isaiah Gavigan got a monster under his bed and he kept going and asking his parents to fix it, but his mom woke up with morning sickness and couldn't deal with it, and his dad went off to fix bacon and eggs after cleaning the toilet for her. They are normally quite caring but I think adding the simulation lag fix made their autonomy stronger, which I do really appreciate. In the mix, though, poor Isaiah was so stressed (still stressed goes 10 hours) without anyone to help him for a long time. Hours later, after his mom got some food in her stomach and took a nap, she came into his room near dawn and tried to comfort him. It was a huge improvement over the vanilla programming but boy was it painful to watch/play when I'm used to no consequences for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Inertia mod makes things very hard, doesn't it? lol! That's a nice change though, because TS4 gameplay is far too easy right out of the box. It's challenging, but we certainly have plenty of happy buffs to use to remedy their problems, so it's a fun challenge. I'm also finding, maybe for the first time since I started playing this game, how each different sim has their own individual "happy place" that they go to when they're stuck in a bad moodlet. It might be a nice patio with wind chimes for an outdoorsy sim, or a good TV show and a comfy couch for a lazy sim, or a nice glass of wine for a snobbish sim, or an intense workout for an active sim. It makes you take notice of their happy buffs more, because now you actually need them instead of just being annoyed that they're happy all the time!

      Delete
    2. That's so true, I am more looking forward to playing than I have in a long time because the game didn't have enough variance or challenge. Good point about finding the happy place for each sim.

      Delete