Drown #11: three little birds, part 0

January 2086. Stephanie Nova is 26, Justin Kim is 25.

Soundtrack, "Three Little Birds," by Bob Marley

* NSFW


Don't worry


about a thing,



'cause every little thing


gonna be alright... 




On January 29th, 2086, Jeremiah appeared at his protective order hearing in regards to the domestic disturbance event of the weeks prior.

"He got a lawyer," Stephanie's attorney told her. "He's an eager little shit, but he's young and he has a lot to learn. About his own clients, too, I would imagine. Jeremiah cited personal emotional stress and PTSD from the war. He claimed that his outbursts were understandable under the circumstances, but that he'd like to work on his mental health so that he wouldn't lose his daughter. 'I went to war,' he said, 'I've already lost my wife, I don't want to lose my baby, too.' He cried in front of the judge. The judge approved his request, under the condition of a protective order that he should not come within 200 yards of you or Willow for the next six months. He also ordered Jeremiah to attend PTSD therapy sessions, anger management classes, and have a court-ordered psychological evaluation. There will be a pre-trial settlement hearing on August 6, 2086."

"I should have been there," Stephanie said.

"It wouldn't have mattered," George McCarthy said. "He's a war veteran and they just saved the planet. They're going to give him every chance he wants to turn things around. But don't worry. Hey, you've got the next six months clear. Enjoy it."


Her lawyer said not to worry, but there was so much to worry about. He said to enjoy the next six months when those months would only feel like a looming death sentence. "He doesn't have PTSD," Stephanie said. "What are we gonna do?"

"We'll think of something," Justin said.


10 comments:

  1. Jeremiah's an adaptive little s***.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PTSD? Oh Jeremiah. But if he's got to go to PTSD counselling, I'm guessing the psychiatrist will see through his ruse anyway, if he/she is even remotely competent. I don't think he'll be able to fake that with a professional. Or I hope not, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see how good of an actor he is! And hope that he gets somebody really on the ball! 0_0

      Delete
  3. If he has a decent psychologist/psychiatrist he'll get picked up as a faker very quickly. As someone who actually does have PTSD, what you can read about online and what it's actually like are not the same. And the person's attitude to their own disease will be very different to a fakers. To start with denial of being sick, is a very large and real part of it. Of course, it is possible to fake it, especially if he sees others with PTSD and mimics their thought patterns and symptoms. But he will give himself away multiple times. What will be interesting will be to see if the psych picks it up. And also how he deals with the therapy - PTSD therapy WILL change his existing psychosis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might have dug himself a bigger hole than he can climb out of this time. I feel like Jeremiah exists in two modes, he's either plotting or reacting. When he's reacting, he lies impulsively and gets angry and volatile and sloppy. You're right, it will be difficult for him to fake it for six months without making a mistake, especially considering his temperament. I know he's hoping he gets assigned a really shitty psychiatrist! All the while, I know Stephanie's lawyer will be pressing for a really good one.

      Thanks for these notes though! These are good pointers for things to look for in my research!

      Delete
  4. Oh my god, poor Steph! I haven't read the previous chapter/s of what happened but it doesn't sound good. Thankfully Steph has Justin by her side. Cute little beginning to this update too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's been rough. The short version is: her psychotic estranged husband smothered her for years and now wants to make her life a living hell for finally leaving him. She would be absolutely lost without Justin.

      I'm glad you enjoyed the bath scene! I've had the idea of that in my head for them for such a long time, but I finally found the mods I needed to make it happen! :D

      Delete
  5. Aww, they were so cute in their tub, enjoying themselves. Unfortunately, I think they will be stuck with Jeremiah forever... It will probably be Willow that has to get rid of him, as a young adult, and cutting off that relationship. But then again, she may want that relationship with him, and then there is her wedding, and children's birthdays. Half of my cousins went on to have relationships with their Dad (who abused his wife, not kids and is an alcoholic), let me say that my cousin's wedding this spring was awkward with him in attendance! Might be easier for Stephanie and Justin to just move to the moon. ;) Or hope that Jeremiah could be sent back, and by the end of all of this, she may just wish he'd die, I know I do!!! :p I think a memory of Jeremiah would be better than the real thing in regards to Willow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, I wonder if she'll start to reconsider whether she wishes him dead or not.

      True though, they don't have many outs in regard to Willow. Legally, a parent who wants to be involved has a right to be unless he's done something truly heinous. So maybe it's really Willow who loses in this situation. Stephanie will get her divorce eventually, but Willow can't divorce her father. Not until she's much much older, anyway. I do wonder what kind of an affect his involvement would have in Willow's life.

      Delete