Drown #10: the mouse, part 7

January 2086. Jeremiah Day is 29.


"Go to South Carolina," she said. "Go to the ocean. You can start over. You’ll be happy there."

"Come to Fort Palmetto," Jeremiah's ISCA-appointed public defender said. "You are doing this so wrong, my friend."



Seven years ago, he held two shirts in his hands and asked the pretty girl on the other side of the clothing rack, "Which one do you like better?"

She said, "You’d look nice in blue, I think."

It was the first thing she'd ever said to him in that whisper soft voice. When she looked up from the shirts, he saw eyes as big and deep and blue as the ocean.

"Let me take you home," he said.

"No. No, I don’t think so."

"Then let me take you out."

"I don't know," she said. "Like, when?"

"Tonight. Now. What else are you doing instead? Come on, come on, don't let me down. You're breaking my heart already."

Her smile was a flicker. He could have missed it if he'd even blinked, but he didn't blink.

"I wasn't doing anything. We could go out, I guess," she said.







"Whoever he is, you don't need him."

"Need who?"

"Whoever you were crying over."

She turned her face away from him. "I wasn't crying."

"You can't lie to me, babe. I know all about it."

"About what? Crying?"

"About unrequited love," he said. 

She looked cautious, but curious. "What's your name?"




"Jeremiah," he said.

"You seem nice," she said. "Why are you being so nice to me? You don't even know me."

"I want to know you. Will you let me know you?"

"Maybe."

"We'll start slow. What's your favorite drink?"

"Root beer."

"A root beer for the lady," he told the waiter. "Whipped cream on top, because she's so sweet."

The way she blushed—so humble, so kind—yes, Jeremiah knew in an instant that she was exactly what he needed. She wouldn't be vain or selfish or bitchy or careless. She was a sweet girl, and he'd always wanted a sweet girl. She would be everything he ever needed. 




"Can I tell you what I'd do instead?"

"Instead of what?"

"Instead of making you cry."

She took a long breath and looked at him with those big, deep, ocean-blue eyes. "Okay," she said. "What would do you?"

"I'd be everything you ever needed. Anything you wanted. And you'd be my everything, too. I'd buy you whatever you wanted, I'd take you anywhere you wanted to go. Name a place, and we'll go there. Go on, I mean it. Name somewhere. Anywhere you haven't been to before."

He thought she wouldn't answer, but then she did with a fanciful smile on her lips. "I don't know. Maybe South Carolina."

"The ocean," he said. "I've never been to the ocean. Have you been there? We'll go together. I'll take you there. Will you let me take you there?"

She laughed, brighter now. "Do I need to answer that now?"

"Nah, take your time."

"Okay."


"Not too long, though." He flashed her his most determined grin. "Because I'm already sold on taking you to the ocean some day. Already in love with it. You're not going to break my heart already, are you?"




Stephanie had surprised him. She was the hardest he ever had to work to win anything. He always thought that with such a great effort would have come a great reward, but that wasn't how it worked out. Stephanie wasn't the sweet girl he thought she was. She was just as false as all of the others.




Stephanie could divorce him if she wanted to, but he wasn't going to just start over. They had a daughter together. Willow was created from the dream of this ocean and the promises they made. She was his blood. She was his great reward for so much effort, and he would not start over without her.


7 comments:

  1. Wow, those are great sets you built! I love the train station, and the train. Very clever use of the basement feature, the seats from the astronaut career (I think?) and the windows and carpet. You must have placed the "train" on different lots at different times to get the scenery.

    Not to belittle the story! Jeremiah's disillusionment with his unrealistic dreams of Stephanie being a doll for him to control. Did they really meet in a clothes store in LH in Sims 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally true story from the LH days. They met in front of a clothing rack at the campus student union shopping center. Jeremiah was a senior and Stephanie was a freshman, and she was lonely and upset because Justin was ignoring her in favor of Keri and all her sex. (Shame shame, Justin! Look at all the trouble you caused, lol!) Jeremiah wanted to get Stephanie into bed, but being shy, she said no, so he took her out on a date instead and charmed her into oblivion.

      As for the train! Thanks, btw! (I still need to put these pictures on Tumblr!) Yes, those are the astronaut seats. The train interior is actually a room placed in the basement level of the train station. The windows face out to black which makes them pretty easy to select and erase, and then I photoshopped the different scenery into the windows. Ha, that may or may not have been easier than actually taking the "room" to different locations. But that was the first thing that occurred to me, so that was how I did it!

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's an elegant solution, less loading screens! I tend to avoid photoshop and would much rather face the loading screens. You did a great job with them! It really made me feel like the train was rolling along through different areas and times of day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, where did my comment go? I distinctly remember commenting last night. Damn.

    Anyway, my comment was pondering whether Jeremiah ever really loved Stephanie. I don't think he did - not properly, like Justin does - but I feel like he probably thinks he did and maybe even thinks he still does. I think it's always been about possession and control for him though. It's very disturbing that he still thinks he can own her. :\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I'm sorry your comment got lost. I checked to see if it got stuck in moderation or spam, but there wasn't anything. Anyway, this new comment is perfect! :D

      You are right to question Jeremiah's "love" lol! I have no doubt he believes that he loved Stephanie as wholly and perfectly as anyone could and that he would have been an incredible husband to her if only she loved him back. The way "love" feels in Jeremiah's head is very consuming. Possession is a good word for it. Twisted as it is though, I can kind of see how a very particular kind of woman (not Stephanie!) could be into something like that.

      Delete
  4. I was admiring the train station too, and totally not surprised about you photoshopping in the window backdrops. Totally you! :) It all turned out really great. It was nice to see a piece of Jeremiah, I mean he didn't start intending to be horrible and controlling. But moving on would make everyone happier... hard work can give you great fruits, but then there is also the saying, if you love something, let it go... though I guess when he knows Stephanie wouldn't return, then there really isn't any reward for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the pics! :) Right, that scenario would make everyone happy except for Jeremiah, and he's just not that selfless or secure.

      Delete